Simpsons: Season 2, episode 18
The Simpsons: Season 2, episode 18
This clip is great to include in an introduction to persuasion. The clip is at the start of the episode where Krusty the Clown is advertising Mount Splashmore waterpark on his show up to where Homer agrees to his kids’ request. Krusty uses persuasive methods on the children and Bart and Lisa then use a perfectly annoying but effective persuasive method with their father. There are several follow-up questions:
- How would you describe the persuasive technique that the kids are using on their father?
- Would this work with every audience?
- What are the persuasive techniques that Krusty is using on the kids?
- Would this work on every audience?
- So would it be fair to say that a key to choosing effective persuasive techniques is knowing your audience?