A written assignment for persuasion
A nice written assignment to introduce persuasive techniques.
Most people do a certain amount of persuading every day in normal conversation. Keep a journal of your communication activities for an entire day, making special note of all instances in which you tried to persuade someone else to your point of view. Turn in your day’s journal with the assignment. Then choose one specific instance from the journal and write a detailed paper that considers the following questions:
- Describe the audience and specific purpose for your message.
- What was your strategy? What did you say and how did you say it? (Use the strategies discussed in the textbook to be specific about the types of appeals that you used.)
- Did you rehearse the message ahead of time or did it arise spontaneously out of the situation?
- Were you successful in achieving your specific purpose? Why or why not?
- If you faced the same situation again, what strategic changes would you make to your effort?