Photo of Mindtrap game
Using selected cards from the game Mindtrap, I developed a brief exercise for students to do before discussing reasoning.
- Break the students into small groups.
- Each group should assign one person to be a recorder, they do not participate in the activity but observe and make notes and share their observations with the class in the debriefing.
- Each group gets one Mindtrap card (actually I give them a copy since the cards have the answers on the back). They are to work at solving the problem.
- If they get stuck, they can ask for a hint.
- If they finish quickly, they can ask for another.
- After about 10 minutes, have the recorders describe how each group solved or attempted to solve the problem.
Most of the problem solutions will use deductive reasoning, so I then start with that discussion and compare it to their problems.